Last Updated: 10/16/2019
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Rainforest QA (“Rainforest”, “we” or “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Applicant Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to personal data we obtain during the recruitment process.
This Notice describes the types of personal data we collect during the job applicant screening and enrollment process, how we may use that information, with whom we may share that information, and the choices and rights you have regarding our use of your personal data. This Notice also describes the measures we take to protect the security of the personal data, how long we retain your personal data, and how you can contact us to exercise your rights.
Information We Collect
- Information you provide as part of your application and interview process. The types of personal data include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address and mobile or other phone number, and country)
- Your CV or resume
- Other files or content you provide (such as cover letter, references, transcripts, photographs, videos, articles, and comments)
- Sensitive information (such as race, nationality, marital status, disability status, and gender)
- Academic and professional details (such as employment history, level of education, skills, and work status information)
- Employment preferences (such as preferred language, willingness to relocate, current salary, and desired salary)
- Eligibility to work in a country where a job applied for is located and available start date
- References (such as letters of recommendation or reviews from former employers)
- Information from third parties. We also obtain your personal data and CV or resume from recruiters, headhunters, or Rainforest employees or contractors who submit it to us on your behalf. This data may include your name, phone, email, employment history, skills, educational qualification, and work performance reviews. We may also collect personal data about you from references supplied by former employers.
- Information you provide on public sites. We obtain information you voluntarily post on public recruiting platforms, such as LinkedIn. This information includes your educational qualifications, employment history, skills, geographic location, and any other public information on your profiles.
- Information We Collect Automatically. When you visit Rainforest’s Careers section on our site, we obtain certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. We may use these automated technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain may include your device IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, types of devices connected to our services, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, and dates and times of visits to our Careers Site. The information we collect through cookies and similar technologies helps us:
- (1) Remember your information so you will not have to re-enter it;
- (2) Understand how you use and interact with our Careers Site;
- (3) Tailor the Careers Site around your preferences;
- (4) Measure the usability of our Careers Site and the effectiveness of our communications; and
- (5) Otherwise manage and enhance our Careers Site, and help ensure it is working properly.
- Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Careers Site. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before collecting information using cookies or similar automated means.
How We Use Information
Rainforest has a legitimate interest to process personal data during the recruitment process and for keeping records of the process. We use your personal data to: (1) evaluate your application for employment; (2) contact you during the screening and interview process; and (3) manage our recruitment processes and human resources functions. We will use your information for these purposes in order to take pre-contractual steps at your request.
We may also use the personal data you submit to (1) protect and defend against legal claims; and (2) comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, and relevant industry standards and policies, including this Notice.
How We Share Information
We share your data with third party service providers and contractors that deliver services to us or on our behalf. Third parties are not authorized by us to use or disclose the personal data, except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We require these third parties to protect your personal data with the same level of security safeguards that we use. We may also disclose your data as required by law or in the interest of protecting our legal rights. If you would like a list of our current third-party service providers, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer of Personal Data to Other Countries
We may share personal data you provide to our service providers, including those located in the United States and the EEA. In addition, our service providers may be located in countries other than the country in which you originally provided your personal data. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you provided your information. In particular, the United States not been recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection.
We implement appropriate administrative and technical safeguards to protect personal data, such as data transfer agreements based on the European Commission’s standard contractual clauses. You may obtain a copy of these safeguards by contacting us as indicated in the “Contact Us” section below.
We restrict access to your personal data to those that require it to perform their job functions. This includes our HR staff, the recruitment team, IT and Finance staff, Rainforest Management, your potential supervisor(s).
How We Store and Secure Information
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect your personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We maintain a Corporate IT Security Policy and use tested access and security controls to ensure that your data is protected. We also require that third party service providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also provide such security measures in accordance with industry standards.
If your application for employment is unsuccessful, we will retain your personal data on file for 1 year following the end of the relevant recruitment process. At the end of that period, we will delete, destroy, or permanently de-identify your data.
If your application for employment is successful, the personal data collected during the recruitment process will be transferred to your Human Resources file (electronic based) and retained during your employment. The period for which your personal data will be held for employment will be provided to you in a separate privacy Notice upon hire.
Please note that in certain cases, legal or regulatory obligations require us to retain specific records for a set period of time.
Your Choice and Rights
You are under no contractual or statutory obligation to provide us your personal information. However, we will not be able to provide you with employment services if you do not provide us your information. You may have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Access and receive a copy of your data
- Update, amend, or correct incomplete or inaccurate data
- Request to delete or stop processing your personal data
- Withdraw your consent of our ability to use your data where we rely on consent as the legal basis
- Object to the processing of your data where we rely on our legitimate interest as the legal basis
- Lodge a complaint with a Data Protection Authority/EU Supervisory Authority, when applicable
To exercise these rights or if you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 30 days.
Updates to Job Applicant Privacy Notice
This Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal data practices or relevant laws. We will indicate at the top of the Notice when the Notice was updated and send you an email to notify you of any significant changes to this Notice.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, would like to exercise your rights, or obtain a copy of the safeguards implemented by Rainforest to transfer your personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.